Monday, March 19, 2012

sewing


I've been doing a little sewing. Its made me think about all the quilters rulers there are out there. I think if i'm going to continue with the Quilt Block of the Month, I may have to get a few more.

The square below came out very well.

I thought warm tones might be nice to work with.
It's called a string block because it would be made with scraps of fabric that were only a little wide there for good as string. Or so the teacher said.

The bad thing about doing a class on line, is that I don't have someone looking over my shoulder to stop me when I might be messing up.

Like the square below for instance.

The fact that one should always measure twice and cut once is not lost on me here. But it doesn't bother me enough to re do the block.
This is a learning experience after all and well, you can see that i'm learning.

Now the block below was measured right, but my seam allowance was off i think.
So i just squared it up to match the size of the rest of the blocks. The big chevron is supposed to have pints at the edge of the block. I think it looks kinda nice cut off.

I have had some sewing successes though.
I got some fabrics from Spoonflower.com and decided to make some pillows for the guest bed. They all turned out really well. They have a flap in the back so I can even take them off and wash them if need be.

All the guest so far have been very fond of the pillows.


No comments: