Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Food!!!

Insert 19 century orphans singing "Food, Glorious Food" here.


I do love a good breakfast. And now that Pop NE is doing brunch on Sundays, well I'm a happy camper.

What we have here is the egg sandwich on rye with potatoes. It was pretty tasty. Though i would have liked the eggs scrambled rather than sunny side up.

This is the Banana's Fosters french toast (i think) with pecans on top. It was very sweet and tasty. Almost too much to eat. So it was lunch too.

Now going out for food is great. Honestly if I could have someone else cook for me all the time, well I would. But it is nice to try your hand at a new thing some times too.

This something new is Spicy Butternut Squash Soup. It turned out pretty well. I think I might try to grow some butternut squash next year in the garden. There was only one thing not quiet right with the soup. I put too much cycane pepper in it. I think maybe with a little more cream or even sour cream it will be good for lunch next week.
I have also started the Thanksgiving desert cooking. The oven will be taken over by a bird tomorrow. So that makes now really the only other time to do any of the things that need to be put in the oven. These are Pumpkin cookies. It was a good simple recipe. Pretty much shorting, brown sugar and pumpkin. These were made out of the pumpkins that i grew. It really something special to cook with something that you have grown.

There is a down side to all this cooking though. This down side is the reason that i would gladly never cook.

What is it? It is the dishes that making food creates. Just after you get the kitchen clean, you turn around and there are all these dirty dishes to deal with. :(
Well on this Thanksgiving I'm thankful for many things, friends, family, good employees, and a dish washer to do all these dishes in.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Mmm... pumpkin cookies! Hope you had a glorious day!

Knittymama said...

What does it say about me that I immediately thought of that song after seeing your title, but before reading your first line? Hmmm....

I love Pop, probably a good thing it's on the other side of the city or I'd spend too much $$ there. hey have the cutest kids meals.